The Coupon Clippers

Monday, January 24, 2011

May...

A funny story from my when my kids were younger, and I'm sure most of you can relate to this. I have ALWAYS used the word "Maybe" when my kids asked me if they could do something or have something. It's just a great word to use, because when they are very little and hold you to EVERYTHING you say, the word allows you an out. Well, one day my daughter, Abby, called my bluff. She was about 6, I guess and had asked me if we could go somewhere later that day and I used the usual response, "Maybe, I'm not sure, we'll just have to see." From the back seat of the car, I hear her sweet soft little voice mutter to herself, "maybe means no." Hmmmm...was she really on to me at the age of SIX? WOW!

I was reminded of this story this morning after reading the days One Year Devotion.

"Israel's blessings started with the word may. As Jacob laid his hands upon the heads of Ephraim and Manasseh, he uttered the word and invoked a blessing with it three times.
The psalmist blessed Israel with equal force: "May the Lord respond to your cry. May the God of Israel keep you safe. . . . May he send you help. . . . May he remember all your gifts. . . . May he grant your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans. May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory. . . . May the Lord answer all your prayers" (Psalm 20:1-5).
The word may could be translated "allow." In other words, allow God to do what He wants to do for you. You must settle in your mind forever that God wants to bless you. Any doubt will always result in questioning His desire to answer your prayers or to increase, deliver, and help you.
God's Word has the same power to bless you, as did Jacob's words for his grandsons. "Pay attention, my child, to what I say. Listen carefully. Don't lose sight of my words. Let them penetrate deep within your heart, for they bring life and radiant health to anyone who discovers their meaning" (Proverbs 4:20-22).
May the Lord bless you today!"


Nope, these verses don't say "Maybe the Lord will..." but in a way they do. I have never read the blessings of the Bible quite the way that the devotional encouraged me to today...by replacing the word "May" with "allow".

If we don't allow God to work in our lives, then the promises of the Bible are just a maybe...we have to get out of the way and let Him work! Believe that He is going to do mighty things in your life! Receive the blessings that He has for you!

No comments: