The Coupon Clippers

Friday, February 11, 2011

How easily our human nature shows through in times of trial!

This opening line of my devotional this morning was all I needed to convict me! Ugh!
We are reading through the book of Exodus and are to the part in Exodus 32 that I have burned into my memory because of the hollywood version of it in the classic movie Moses with Charlton Heston.

"When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods[a] who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.”

2 Aaron answered them, “Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me.” 3 So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. 4 He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods,[b] Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.”

5 When Aaron saw this, he built an altar in front of the calf and announced, “Tomorrow there will be a festival to the LORD.” 6 So the next day the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and presented fellowship offerings. Afterward they sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry.

7 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’ "


I feel a lot like the children of Israel this morning. They had seen miracle after miracle as God used Moses to lead them out of Egypt and out of captivity. They had just witnessed the parting of the red sea, water pour out of a rock in the middle of a desert and had manna falling daily from the sky for them, for goodness sake!
All of their needs had been completely fulfilled! All they had to do was WAIT! The next blessing was coming, but they grew impatient and turned back to their old ways.

This time in my life is about waiting! God has shown his provisional love for my family OVER and OVER again. He has delivered us out of the captivity of sin and is asking us to wait for the next step...what is so hard about that? Why is it that we(I) allow Satan to creep in during these times of rest when I am waiting on the Lord and stir my fears into a frenzy? I have nothing to worry about and may miss out on the biggest blessing of my life because I can't fight the urge to take control of my situation.

Lord, help me to be content in the waiting. Protect me from the devil's attempts to distract me from Your will. Help me keep my eyes firmly focused on You so that I may receive the blessings that you have prepared for me! Amen

No comments: