The Coupon Clippers

Thursday, January 14, 2010

May be more like Rebekah than I thought...

(TOTAL SIDE NOTE....Today, I found and incredible resource that I can use when my A.D.D. kicks in...YEA for the online audio bible. I can LISTEN to the scriptures now! WOOHOO!)


So, today's One year devotion continued with the story of Leah and Rebekah and their childbearing years.

MAN, it must have been FUN to live with these two girls...NOT! They were AWFUL! They were every bit as human as I've ever been, and then some! They fought over Jacob constantly...raced to bear him children...threw their maidservants at him when they couldn't get pregnant...traded him for food out of the field. I actually feel sorry for him. Not only did he have these two women to deal with every day when he got home, but their crooked daddy (Laban) dealt him fits when he was at work by constantly changing the terms of their oral contract. Through all of this turmoil in Jacobs life, God was still faithful because Jacob listened to God's instructions. God increased his flocks, his family and gave him great wealth.

In the middle of my feeling sorry for Jacob, I'm reminded of the bad choices he made in his life and that he certainly reaped what was sown in the form of these two bickering sisters and an ungodly father in law. He had STOLEN his brothers birthright! Remember that God led him to this family and told him to marry Laban's daughter! It's sad to watch him struggle, but ultimately he did get what he deserved. He also got what God had planned for him all along because he ultimately followed God and listened to His instructions.

How does this apply to me? Lets see...have I made stupid choices in my life....YES! Do I always listen to God and follow him...NO! Am I missing out on many of the blessings that God has for me because of my disobedience and indifference when it comes to listening and following...ABSOLUTELY! So, I guess I feel sorry for Jacob because I can relate. I've gotten myself into many groups of "bickering sisters" because of my bad decisions. I need to wait on the Lord and trust that His plans for my life are good and that He is faithful...especially when I am not.

Lord, help me to have patience and to wait on you. Help me to trust in your promises. You ARE good and you ARE faithful and I AM yours. You will not harm me, but only seek to prosper me as you told me in Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Help me to realize that this does not solely apply to the riches of this temporary world, but mainly applies to the eternity that I will spend with you in Heaven.

No comments: