The Coupon Clippers

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Don't give up!!

I've gotten several emails this week from discouraged coupon shoppers who aren't quite getting the savings that I've talked about in class, so I just wanted to post a note of encouragement to you guys!!

PLEASE, do not think that you will be saving 100's of dollars within a week of taking the class.
It HAS happened, but for most of us (me included) it took months of practice to get to the point that my savings were bigger than my spending.

There are weeks, like this week, where no coupons are published in the newspaper and the sales at the stores just don't really match up with anything. I use these weeks to buy some of those items that I don't buy on a regular basis, or to stock up on meats. This week, there are some good sales at Winn Dixie on meat, so I'm headed there. I will probably not go to Publix at all this week...I KNOW, it's hard for me to believe it too!! These weeks are also a good time to take a break and reorganize your coupons, pulling out the ones that will expire in a couple of days on the 30th of the month.

Keep your chin up and keep plugging away at it and the savings will come!!
As always, feel free to email me or respond to this blog if you have any questions.

Happy Saving!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaime-as one of those discouraged newbies I thank you for your comments. If nothing else, as I told you before, I rediscovered Aldi's and at least saved $12 this weekend. I also was able to price check items that I normally buy so I could see what I was spending and what would be a good deal in the future. Thanks for all your advice!!! Linda

tvillegirl said...

Hey Jamie,
I have a quick question. Publix seems to be getting very picky about Q's. Have you noticed anything? The last two times my Q's were really scrutinized. Since most of mine come from online it kinda made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

PennyWise said...

Hey tvillegirl!
I'll be honest, I haven't been shopping in about a week and a half now (HUGE stockpile!) so I haven't really noticed any changes at Publix, but I'm hearing lots of things.

I will let you know if I experience anything the next time I go in, but as long as they still take our coupons, I will let them scrutinize them all they need to. : )
Unfortunately for us, these desperate financial times are causing people to do some unscrupulous things when it comes to coupons shopping and that is making it more difficult for the honest coupon shoppers! If you are following the rules, then you don't have anything to fear. If you think you may be getting a rule wrong, ask them...they'll tell you.

mistisdesk said...

Hi just a couple of comments about this subject (I am an avid coupon shopper in N. AL and my MIL came to your class recently) first, Publix registers are not "smart" meaning they do not beep if you use a coupon for an item you didnt purchase or if its the wrong size or expired etc. This is one reason many stores have begun checking more closely to make sure the coupons match the products. Also I firmly believe that the amount of savings you will see is directly proportional to the time you invest in couponing. Reading tutorials online, checking different blogs for deals that may have been missed by your usual source are a couple of ways you can begin to see more savings. You can also consider (time allowing) getting a smaller amount of groceries at a time by making a couple of trips-this increases your savings percentage if you are using a 5 off 25 coupon or other amount off a purchase coupon - keep as close the the 25 as possible. And as PennyWise said-the more you practice the better you'll get! Pretty soon you'll be getting all kinds of free stuff!